Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Outer Isles

{snap}
In the last year and a half food has become an increasingly important topic. It started mainly when I was pregnant. One soda here and there became a couple a week. I was craving sugar and eating very few vegetables. When it came time to get screened for gestational diabetes I was ready and it never occurred to me that I would be at risk. When my results came back it showed that my numbers were high. My doctor thought it may be an inaccurate test, but I didn't care I couldn't stop hearing those words gestational diabetes. She talked to me about my diet. I realized I was snacking on nothing but crackers and an occassional piece of fruit. I decided right then that I had to change how I ate. I had already started making more food from scratch due to the limited amount of prepackage/prepared food that was available. Cooking took longer, but there was a sense of satisfaction from cutting and sauteeing that was therapeutic. When we headed back to the States we both wanted to continue cooking from scratch but we knew it would be hard with the convenience of home.

When we got back I was talking to a friend about food and she said, "We usually shop the outer isles when we go to the grocery store." I must have had a quizzical look on my face because she went on to explain what she meant. In most grocery stores fresh produce, dairy, and meats are all located on the outer perimeters. The processed foods and sweets tend to be in the middle.  By keeping to the outer edges they are able to eat healthier (this doesn't mean they don't sneak a bottle of coke or other fun items from time to time).

I am not saying that I am swearing off the middle isles all I want to do is have a little experiment. Before I go to purchase an item on the middle isles I have to at least try and make it first. I am not committing to making that item from scratch from here on out. I just really want to see if I can make tasty food from scratch. I don't know how often I will get to post so I am not making any kind of regular promises. I would love it if you would join me. I will take tips or any reasonable requests for food to try and create. Here's to cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment